Welcome to Growing Bolder. We're glad you're here. If you're not already a member click here to sign up -- it's free and we'll always respect your privacy. Registration is required to help provide you with the best online experience possible.
If you ever have a specific question, we're always just an email away. Click here
to send your question.
When you sign up, you'll create a display name (some call it a screen name), for use within the Growing Bolder community. A display name allows you to interact with other members without divulging your real name.
Once you become a registered member, your Growing Bolder profile page will be created. You determine who can see it and who can't. Your profile page contains your personal information and keeps track of all your groups, family, friends, pets, photos, blogs, videos and more. You can easily update or change your profile at any time. The more information you share, the easier it is to connect with other members who share similar passions and backgrounds.
If you want to access all of our many features but don't want to divulge too much about yourself, don't worry. You control how private or public your information, messages and contributions are.Groups:
The social networking part of the Growing Bolder site revolves around your passions (hobbies and interests) and enables you to share those passions with others who have similar interests. Join a group or create your own and invite the world or just your friends. You have complete control. Groups can be public or by invitation only. Growing Bolder groups make it easy to share your thoughts, photos and videos.
We're always here to help you but these are the most frequently asked questions. If you don't find the answer to your question here, fill out our Help & Feedback Form
and one of the Growing Bolder Gang will give you personal help.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Does it cost anything to become a Growing Bolder member?
No way. Not ever. We believe the Internet should be free. It costs you nothing to enjoy our content and take advantage of our many services. Occasionally, we or one of our partners may offer premium services or products. These are always optional and you're never required to purchase anything to enjoy the Growing Bolder community and all of its features.
What's a display name, how is it used and how do I choose one?
Your display name (also called a screen name) is your public identity in the Growing Bolder community. It can be your real name or anything you want. Your display name will be displayed on your Growing Bolder profile, your blogs, videos, photos, posts and replies. If you wish to remain anonymous, choose a display name that doesn't represent your real name. For example, if your name is Mary Jones, you may not want to choose the display name of "maryjones." Try "MJ54" or "marylovesdogs," etc.
Many members choose a display name that reflects their personality or passions.
I share an email address with someone else. Can we both sign up for Growing Bolder using the same email address?
Right now, we only allow one profile per email address, but our developers are hard at work to change that.
By the time we leave our beta version of the site, you will be able to have multiple profiles per email address.
Stay tuned for this exciting change!
Can I change my display name after I've already signed up?
At any time, you can change your display name.
Growing Bolder does not recommend changing it too often because that's how other members in the community know you. But we believe in freedom of choice, so if you want to change your display name, simply follow these steps:
- Click "Edit Profile" on your "My Home" page.
- Click the "Name" button in the left-hand column.
- Type your new name in the "Display Name" field.
- Hit Submit
I forgot my password. Will you send it to me?
For security purposes, we do not keep records of your passwords.
So, if you forget it, we will send you a link to reset your password but we cannot send you your old one. To set a new password, just click on the "Forgot Password" link in the sign-in box on the homepage of GrowingBolder.com. We will then send you instructions for resetting your password.
How do I change my password?
You can change your password at any time. Just follow the steps below:
- Click "Manage Account" on your "My Home" page.
- Click "Change Password."
- Enter your current password and your new password in the designated fields.
- Type in the letters and numbers you see in the Image Verification box.
- Click the "Change" button.
How do I upload my photo to my GB profile page?
Although we accept most file formats, it's best to upload your photos in JPG format. When you first registered for Growing Bolder, you should have been prompted to upload a profile photo.
If you opted to skip that step or you want to change your picture, follow these steps:
- In the left column of your GB profile page, click the Upload Media tab.
- Select a photo album from your drop-down menu or create a new album. This is where your new image will be stored.
- Click Next.
- Click the Browse button next to the field titled Upload File. This will bring up the File Upload window.
- In the File Upload window, locate the folder in which you have saved your photos. On most Windows computers, this is the My Pictures subfolder located within your My Documents folder.
- Highlight the folder and double-click to open it.
- Locate your photo in the folder by clicking through the images. If you stored your photos in a subfolder within My Pictures, just double click on that folder to open it. If you don't see images of your photos, change your view, following these steps (Windows only):
- In the File Upload window, click on the View Menu icon at the top right.
- Select Thumbnails from the drop down list. You should now see small images of all of your photos.
- Once you find the image you want to upload, double-click on it to select it. The name you assigned to that image will appear in the Upload File box.
- Click the Upload button to the right of the filename box.
- After you click the Upload button, your photo will begin to upload to your Profile Page. It should take anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes, depending upon the size of the photo and the speed of your Internet connection.
- After the photo uploads, you will be prompted to change the file name to a caption, to choose a category and to choose what sort of comments you will allow to be displayed next to your photo.
- Click Finish.
- You'll be asked where you want to go.
If you want to make your newly uploaded image your new profile image, click Back to My Home.
- Click Edit Profile in the upper left side of your profile page.
- Click Profile Image under the Edit Menu.
- Find the image you just uploaded and click on it.
- That's it!
How do I change my GB profile photo?
You can change your profile photo at any time and as many times as you'd like.
Simply follow the instructions listed above.
Can I become a member if I don't live in the United States?
You bet. We're a community of inclusion. Having members worldwide who share your passions is an exciting benefit of Growing Bolder membership.
I made a mistake when selecting my gender during registration. How do I change my gender setting on my Growing Bolder account profile?
Changing your gender setting is much easier than actually changing your gender. Just follow these steps:
- Click on the Edit Profile link in the left column of your GB Profile Page.
- Under Edit Menu click on Details.
- Select "Female" or "Male" from the Gender drop-down list.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
You can follow these same steps to change your birthday, ethnicity, marital status, etc.
I don't want to receive emails from Growing Bolder or other Growing Bolder members. How do I unsubscribe?
This would make us sad because our emails are fun and informative. But, you're the boss. To unsubscribe from the Growing Bolder mailing list, click on the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of every page of GrowingBolder.com.
Using the drop-down menu, select "Other" for your subject and fill out the rest of the fields on the page.
In the message field, please specify if you want to be removed from GrowingBolder.com mailings (i.e. The Insider) or if you would like to stop receiving new message alerts. Once we get your request, we'll (sadly) remove you from our mailing list.
How do I contact other members via private message?
This is an easy one. To send a private message to a GB member, follow these steps:
Important Note #1:
- In the GB Mail Center on your GB profile page, click compose message.
- Use the drop-down menu under the To field to find the member you want to send a message to.
From this menu, you can only send messages to people who are already your friends. (If you'd like to send a message to someone who is not yet your friend, see below)
- Enter a
short description in the Subject line.
- Enter your message in the Message field.
- When your message is complete, click the Send button. Your message will be delivered by Growing Bolder to the member's GB inbox. A copy of the message will be stored in your Sent folder.
If you want to send a private message to someone you are not friends with, locate that person on the site, click "Send Message" on the left side of his or her profile page.Important Note #2:
At no time do members have access to another member's outside email address. You control who has your personal email address. If you don't want someone to have it, don't type it into your message or post it anywhere on your profile page.
How do I find messages sent to me by other members?
All messages are delivered to your inbox in the GB Mail Center on your profile page. If you have a new message or messages, you will see a notification next to the word Inbox on your profile page.
It will tell you how many new messages you have.
How do I respond to a private message from another GB member?
Private messages from another member will be delivered to your inbox on your GB profile page. If you have a new message, click on inbox, then click on the email title (subject line) to open it.
When you open the message, you will see the text of the message and a reply link to click if you would like to reply. If you choose to reply to the message, your reply will be delivered to the member's GB inbox. This is for your protection and convenience. At no time do members have access to other members' outside email addresses. You also have the option of forwarding the email to one of your friends' GB inbox.
Why am I not receiving any external emails from Growing Bolder or GB members?
If you think that you're not receiving messages from us in your outside email box, check your junk mail folder. Sometimes emails can be mistakenly flagged as junk or spam by email providers. If the messages are not in your spam/junk folders, contact your email provider to make sure they are not blocking correspondance from Growing Bolder.
If you still cannot resolve the issue, contact us using the Help and Feedback
form and a member of the Growing Bolder team will contact you to help you with the problem.
How do I find other Growing Bolder members by their display names?
To search for a Growing Bolder member by display name, just enter the display name in the search box. Each member's profile has a Send Message link that enables you to communicate with that member, even if his or her profile is private.
You can also invite the person to be your friend on GrowingBolder.com by clicking "Invite as Friend." A request will be sent to the member for them to approve or reject your request.
How do I find other Growing Bolder members who share my passions?
You can connect with other GB members by exploring groups or even creating your own group! Growing Bolder groups are a great way for members with similar interests to connect and share ideas.
If you're the moderator of a group, you can also post photos, videos and blogs.
Coming soon, all group members will also be able to contribute photos, videos and blogs to the group.
Stay tuned for these exciting changes!
How do I create a Group?
To create a group, follow these steps:
- Go to the Groups Page. (There's a link on the top navigation bar on every page)
- Click Create Group.
- Enter a name for your group.
- Describe your group. This is really important because this is how other members will decide whether to read your group posts and ultimately join. Make it as descriptive and interesting as you can.
- Choose one of our main categories that best describes your group. Categorizing your group will help other members with similar interests find your group.
- Decide how you want to restrict membership. Open means that anyone who clicks "join group" on your group page will automatically become a member.
Invitation Only means that you must invite other GrowingBolder.com members to join your group.
You can do this by clicking on the "invite to group" link on his or her profile page.
Approval Required means that who will have to approve every member who requests to join your group.
- Click Submit
- Congratulations! You've now created a group that has the power to unite people worldwide or just a few of your best friends.
If you don't find a category that suits your group, sending us a message using the Help and Feedback form
and we'll consider create a new category for your group!
Can I edit my post to Growing Bolder group?
Once you have posted a comment anywhere on a site (on a group page, on another member's profile page, in an article, etc) you can delete it but you cannot edit it. You can edit a personal blog at any time. (See below: How do I edit my GB blog post?)
How do I write and post my first blog?
To write a blog, follow these steps:
- To get started, you have three choices. You can click Post Blog under the GB Mail Center on your profile page, you can click Write a Blog in the Things to Do box or you can click View Blogs, then Post a New Blog.
- Enter a Title for your blog.
- Pick a Category that your blog belong is. For example, a story about your vacation might be placed in Travel or Travel-Adventure or Travel-RV. It's up to you. And don't sweat it too much. People will find it.
- Write your blog in the Message field.
- Decide who can view your blog by clicking Public, Friends Only or Private.
- Decide who can comment on your blog by clicking Open Comments (anyone can comment) Moderate Comments (anyone can comment but you decide which comments are displayed. See note below) or No Comments (no one can comment).
- When you have finished entering your information, click Submit.
If you choose moderate comments, the comments will appear in your
Approval Requests section on your personal page. There, you can read
comments and decide if you approve them for display or not.
How do I edit my GB blog post?
To edit an existing blog, follow these steps:
- Click View/Blogs in the upper left column of your profile page.
- Scroll to the Blog you wish to edit.
- Click Edit under the posting you wish to edit.
- Make your edits and click the Submit button.
My video is stopping a lot when I'm trying to play Growing Bolder videos.
We're working with our servers to insure the fastest and smoothest delivery of GB Videos. Of course, you need a broadband conection. If your videos are stopping or "catching," let them buffer for a minute. Here's how: 1: Start the video by hitting the play button 2: Immediately hit the pause button. If you look closely, you'll see a little gray bar extending from left to right on the player -- that's the video buffering. Wait 30 seconds or so and hit the play button again. The video will now play straight through without stopping.
Still need help?
If you still need help fill out our Help and Feedback
and a member of the GB gang will give you personal help.
Help us build the kind of community you want. We need your feedback -- good and bad! Use the link above to ask a question, report a problem or suggest an improvement to GrowingBolder.com