Enter Your E-mail:

• Currently 5/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
(20 votes - 25,640 views)
Posted on April 17th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

What happens when you give a music legend a home video camera and ask him to record an intimate concert on a train from Florida to New York City? All aboard for a trip through rock history with the Byrds founder Roger McGuinn.

Check out Roger's home page on Growing Bolder.

Want More Exclusive McGuinn?
* Draggin' Cross the USA
* Inside A Folk Den Session
* Mr. Tambourine Man at Home
* Childhood Gift Changed History
* Roger on GB Radio
* Roger Makes Ice From the Sun
* Eight Miles High: Historic Home Video Rediscovered
* Roger Rocks on a Scooter

In a musical first, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Roger McGuinn has recorded a unique video from the inside of a private berth on a train headed from Florida to New York. The "Roger Rocks on Rails" video, recorded exclusively for GrowingBolder.com, features McGuinn taking viewers on a musical journey through the history of rock and roll.

"This is the ultimate user-generated video," says Growing Bolder Vice President Bill Shafer." In this case, the user just happens to be one of the most influential artists in musical history." Roger's wife Camilla shot the entire presentation on a handheld video camera. "This is as intimate as it gets," says Shafer. "With the countryside flashing by and the rails providing a rhythmic soundtrack all their own, it's a musical experience unlike anything out there."

McGuinn was a folk music prodigy who founded the Byrds with Gene Clark and David Crosby in 1965. He pioneered both folk rock and country rock and influenced everyone from The Beatles to Tom Petty to R.E.M. He's released eight albums since the Byrds disbanded in 1973, including 2001's Grammy-nominated "Treasures From the Folk Den," a collection of remote recordings from the dens of Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Judy Collins and other folk greats.

In "Roger Rocks on Rails," McGuinn demonstrates how a Bob Dylan poetic folk tune sounded when it was offered to the Byrds in 1965, and how he "souped it up with a Beatles rhythm." The result was their landmark debut single "Mr. Tambourine Man."

"Roger is the history of Rock and Roll," says Shafer. "He's always been an innovator and is still pushing the envelope. He was one of the very first musicians to embrace the Internet and he records and produces his own albums on a computer system he designed. It's not surprising that he would be responsible for another first -- the first-ever video of its kind recorded on a moving train exclusively for a cutting edge Web site."

Total Length: 14:50 Views: 25,640 Comments: 14 Favorited: 12 Rating: 5 Votes: 20

Channels

Entertainment - Music
Travel
GB Topics - Big Names
GB Topics
GB Exclusives - GB Rocks

Tags

roger mcguinn - music - train - hall of fame - rock and roll - new york - performance - the byrds - concert - florida

Entertainment - Music, Travel, GB Topics - Big Names, GB Topics, GB Exclusives - GB Rocks

roger mcguinn - the byrds - new york - hall of fame - performance - florida - music - concert - rock and roll - train

Click to add this media to your favoritesEmail thisRSS feed of this content

Post this video to a site:

Bookmark on:

• Posted 10:13pm August 18th, 2009

Roger,I've been enjoying youtubes and music of yours,for a long time! I wish you'd hire me to back you on bass and vocals to fill out the sound!!I travel light and use a small combo bass amp and play and sing well and am a good guy!!I bet you get a million of them!!!I also need to be rescued from leaving my ugly carbon print that I leave with my delivery truck on my day gig too!!wish you were performing in this area sometime soon(Balto.Md. or DC)!May go see your old Byrd,MCH mate,Hillman in Oct, have to take a vacation day maybe!well I gave it a shot,if anything maybe you'll get a good laugh,but it doesn't change the fact that your music is as shimmering and wonderful now as it always has been!God bless...George ... PS love the radios!!!

• Posted 2:10pm January 4th, 2009
    Really enjoyed seeing this today on the local PBS station and now, I'll watch the unedited version here on this site. As a young teen, I loved folk music. And, I've enjoyed a few rail trips myself... although not as extensive as yours. Thanks for sharing your music and your travels with all of us. Now, I just need to figure out how to plan my own rail journey. You definitely sparked an interest deep within.

• Posted 9:42pm April 27th, 2008

Loved it Roger-looks like a great trip. I can't pick up a guitar without thinking about you and Camilla-you keep my music young.  Please don't ever stop performing. My best-MF Foster

• Posted 2:52am April 26th, 2008

You guys never grow old.  You look the same as you did on the

European tour in 1980.  I enjoyed the music and the rhythm of the

rails.  God Bless,

Scott K

• Posted 9:40pm April 21st, 2008
     Just loved it,brought back many memories.Kepp on rockin'

• Posted 10:14am April 19th, 2008

Great to see this wonderful couple still rockin' through life.

Thanks, you guys, for the wonderful video!

Peter Rodman

Nashville, Tennessee

• Posted 4:46pm April 18th, 2008

What a delightful trip. I was watching a DVD of Nick and Nora Charles afew nights back and they were traveling on a train to San Francisco from New York, but they didn't have as much gadgetry nor as much music, not to mention as much fun. I'd always heard Roger was a gadgeteer but now here's the proof...the bag of electronics and how to use them.  Thanks for a video gem here.

Maybe you can produce a longer form sometime where the two of you ride across the country as well.

Regards, Pat Flannagan

Eustis, Florida

• Posted 3:23pm April 18th, 2008

nice playing

great poetry... wonderful intent!

Chip

• Posted 3:01pm April 18th, 2008
    I use "Back Pages" for my clients in my life coaching company, Second Wind. We start each session listening to it, and then they are ready to talk about their futures! What a privilege to listen to it played just for me (OK, and all Growing Bolder members)and share a train ride with the McGuinn's. Thank you Growing Bolder team!
    And thank you Roger for the gift of your spirit.

Dr. Ronda Beaman

• Posted 12:48pm April 18th, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic!  You haven't lost a step in 40+ years.  I have always enjoyed your music tremendously.  I have watched the video at Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary 100 times with you singing My Back Pages.  Keep up the good work, and may God richly bless you.

Thanks for providing the world with beautiful music.

Cliff Eastham

• joel.jpg
    JW
    Posted 2:26am April 18th, 2008
    I liked it Roger. I have always enjoyed your music in the past.  That looked like an interesting trip. I hope things go well for you and your music in the future. GB that was a good article, it is interesting to watch the content grow and improve. The best to you folks.

• Posted 10:00pm April 17th, 2008
    Charming.  But, a bit nostalgic, which is okay.  I enjoyed it.  I think I'll get out some The Byrds music.

Lou
    Posted 5:36pm April 17th, 2008

Awesome!  What a wonderful trip down memory lane, and what a unique venue.  This was an ideal piece for GB to feature.

Thanks to Roger and Camilla!

• Posted 2:41pm April 17th, 2008

Right on! Great, great piece. A landmark moment for Growing Bolder. Cheers and best wishes to GB and to the McGuinns.

Next Up...

Tom-Rush-Remember.flv snap shotSinglive-SOTS.flv snap shotBernie LeeBig Bopper Jr.

Growing Bolder

gb-exclusive-content.jpg

Random picks of GB media!

Lori-Hope1x1.jpg