Enter Your E-mail:

• 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
(4 votes - 27,118 views)
Posted on May 3rd, 2011 at 6:51 pm

What do you do when the one thing you love most is the one thing everyone tells you not to do?

As a teen, Karen Putz lost her hearing while barefoot water skiing.

She had to learn a whole new way of living. Against everyone's advice, she went to college, and eventually she married and had children.

More than 25 years passed, but her desire to get back on her feet kept burning within. Then one day, she saw a news report on Judy Myers, a 68-year-old competitive barefoot water skier (and the oldest woman competing in the sport). She had the inspiration she needed to get back into the water.

Once again, everyone told her she shouldn't do it. Some family members even told her she was too old. But Karen had rediscovered her passion.

Watch her story and see how two women became friends and taught each other what it means to really live.

Editor's Note: Growing Bolder has open-captioned this entire story so that Karen and other deaf/hard of hearing viewers can benefit from her remarkable story.

GB Topics, Health, Relationships, Sports, Living, GB Topics - Overcoming Obstacles, Health - Disabilities, Relationships - Friendships, Sports - Extreme, Sports - Water Sports, Living - Recreation, Syndication - Orlando Sentinel

world barefoot center - waterski - karen putz - barefoot waterskiing - judy myers - keith st. onge

Click to add this media to your favoritesEmail thisRSS feed of this content

Post this video to a site:

Bookmark on:

• Posted 1:17pm May 22nd, 2011

Keith-- what I can say-- my life did a 180 when I met you and Judy!  Thanks for having me on Team WBC!

• Posted 1:15pm May 22nd, 2011

Tracy, thanks!  I'm so glad our Twitter paths crossed too-- and I know someday we'll cross face to face so I can give you that hug!

• Posted 10:58am May 17th, 2011

Great video Karen!  We love having you apart of our team and your passion for the sport keeps us all motivated!  Thank you for everything you have brought to my life!

Keith St.Onge

• Posted 8:40pm May 15th, 2011

Hi Karen - I LOVE this video and your story! You inspire me every time I connect with you online.

I'm so glad our Twitter paths crossed!

• Posted 8:53pm May 5th, 2011

Thanks, Ken! Proud to call you my friend too!  The folks at Growing Bolder absolutely ROCK!

• Posted 8:24pm May 5th, 2011

Great story! I LOVE that they open captioned it too. I'm proud to call you my friend Karen! Hugs, Ken

• Posted 4:25pm May 5th, 2011

Miss Dazey-- thanks!  I hope we meet face-to-face someday!

• Posted 4:24pm May 5th, 2011

Lori, thanks!  Everyone should pursue their passion, that's for sure! Hope you're unwrapping yours!

• Posted 3:57pm May 5th, 2011

Judy, thank you for being my mentor and my inspiration! You're not only a friend, you've become a sister as well.   If we wait long enough, you'll be the oldest competitor at 100 years of age.

• Posted 1:47pm May 5th, 2011

Karen so glad we met and have been inspirations for each other as well as becoming great friends.  One note is I am the oldest competing woman not the oldest overall

• Posted 12:47pm May 5th, 2011

CryLaughing  WTG Karen!  I'm very proud of you for being bold enough to pursue your passion!

• Posted 11:47am May 5th, 2011

Oh, Karen..this is such a wonderful interview. Made me tear up. I am thrill to know you online, but more thrilled to watch someone enjoy their passion.

Next Up...