This story is sponsored by our partners at EVELO Electric Bicycles: comfortable, stylish electric bikes with up to 60 miles of fun effortless riding – simply the best electric bikes on the market. To shop for your EVELO bike and get a free fit consultation, visit EVELO Electric Bicycles!
You loved riding a bike as a kid, right? Pushing the pedals, listening to the wind whip through the wheels and feeling the freedom that two wheels could provide.
Cycling is a great sport for any age and any fitness level.
Selene Yeager shared her story of weight loss and fitness on a bike with us, and says with the proper fit and practice, it’s a great hobby for anyone.
Pat and Cat Patterson have ridden their bikes across continents together, and they prove that a bike can take you on an incredible journey.
And Glenn Fenster rides to Move Forward. Give Back.™, to raise awareness for disease.
Those athletes have use traditional bikes to get moving, but there’s another option that we think might make sense for you as you chase your own Fountain of Youth: electric bikes.
First, a quick fact check about electric bikes:
- Electric bikes give you three options: pedal only (like a regular bike), pedal-assist (which comes in three different levels) and electric only.
- Even though you won’t need to pedal as much or as hard, they can still help you get more physically active and fit, and can even help with coordination.
- Because they can provide various levels of assistance, they can help you if you’re injured or are recovering, and they can make navigating across tough terrain a lot easier.
- Electric bikes are very cost-effective. EVELO says you can get 250-500 miles of riding on just $1 worth of electric charging! And an average daily commute will cost you around five cents.
This graphic from EVELO breaks it down a little more:
So, the big question is: where will your bike take you? A few ideas that we think might be fun:
- Trade out your next commute for a ride on two wheels instead of four. Swapping even one car ride a week can make a big difference in your health and wellness (and you’ll notice a lot more along your route than you do when you’re speeding by!).
- Challenge your kids or grandkids to a race (and then shock them by turning on the pedal assist).
- Plan a long-distance ride across your state or even the country, and use it to fundraise for a cause that’s close to your heart.