What are the best dating sites for singles over 50?
Plenty of websites abound, allowing those in the mood to forgo traditional steps of finding a mate and a match. While relying on friends for introductions or leaning on chance introductions at a local bar remain viable options, technology can be your friend if you prefer to saddle up to a computer instead of a bar stool.
“It is an essential tool,” Susan Winter, relationship expert and author, told Growing Bolder’s Bill Shafer. “Technology has allowed us a much wider group from which we could find prospective mates. And in that way, it’s wonderful.”
Winter does provide a cautionary asterisk for anyone looking for love: “The pitfalls are the games and the nonsense and the anonymity.” According to RetirementLiving, dating scams cost unsuspecting older Americans over $190 million.
That said, there are plenty of reputable sites that cover most of the bases. Where to begin? We are here to help with several site recommendations:
● SilverSingles is considered a go-to site for the over-50 generation. It touts experts that “cover all the details, from how the personality test works to how much paid membership costs.”
“The secure signup process includes profile verification and fraud detection, so new members must portray themselves accurately to gain access to the platform,” datingnews.com wrote in a review. “By fostering a safe environment, SilverSingles helps men and women meet mature dates in their area.”
Consumeraffairs.com gives it a 3.5 out of 5 rating.
● OurTime.com honors “the freedom, wisdom and appreciation for life that only comes with time. We also recognize that what people want in their 50s, 60s and beyond is often very different from what they wanted in their 30s and 40s, let alone their 20s. This online dating community focuses on the specific interests and desires of people like you.”
Consumeraffairs.com gives it a 3.7 out of 5 rating.
● Singles50 is geared toward 40-plus singles, streamlined to focus on finding members a longtime partner. “Based on the results of Singles50’s scientific personality assessment, we will only introduce you to truly suitable individuals,” it states on its website. “Your test results, a description of your ideal partner, and our partner recommendations are free and without obligation.”
Datingscout.com gives it a 4 of 5 rating.
● Seniormatch.com has 6,000+ daily active members, according to its website. Members under 40 are not allowed to sign up.
It is geared toward people looking for love, friendship, companionship, and travel partners. “We seniors love travel!,” it states on its website. “Most members mentioned travel as an important interest in their profiles. Go find your travel mates to explore the world with you.”
Datingscout.com gives it a 3 of 5 rating.
● Match.com is one of the most popular dating sites for adults in the country. It does carve out a specific niche for older people looking to date.
“I really enjoyed being on this app,” one reviewer noted. “I did not find my current partner on this site, but I met a few interesting people who I am still friends with to this day. I would definitely recommend this app to anyone looking to find a partner or even a friend.”
Consumeraffairs.com gives it a 3.8 out of 5 rating.
There are other sites as well. The key is finding a site that meets your needs, while taking into consideration the various price points that each site offers (some are free).
“People want to communicate,” Winter said. “They want connection. So, what happens is this: Online dating allows you to expand the geography of potential partners. It’s really cool.”