How to Live to Be 100 & Enjoy it | Active Aging Week

In

Embrace the Seven Dimensions of Wellness

The 20th Anniversary of Active Aging Week, presented by Humana, is a reminder that the lifestyle choices we all make on a daily basis don’t just add years to our life but, more importantly, more life to our years. Recent studies have revealed that genetics may account for as little as 20% of our longevity, and our lifestyle is responsible for the other 80%.

Despite the never-ending twists and turns of life, this is a great time to be over 60, 70, 80, or 90. There’s an entirely new stage of life available. Active Aging Week, presented by Humana, is designed to help you make the most of the opportunity — more time with those you love, doing the things you enjoy, and making a difference in the lives of others.

The International Council on Active Aging says wellness is derived from our ability to understand, accept and act upon our capacity lead a purpose-filled and engaged life.

In this series we’ll explore the 7 Dimensions of Wellness that enable us to pursue and optimize life’s possibilities:

  • Emotional
  • Intellectual & Cognitive
  • Physical
  • Professional & Vocational
  • Social
  • Spiritual
  • Environmental

It’s never too late to start creating a happier and healthier future. Roy Englert, a Humana Game Changer, began running at age 60. “Even my mother said, ‘You’re too old to run.’ That was 40 years ago,” says Englert.  Englert is now 100 years old and enjoys a highly social and rewarding life. “You just have to keep moving. That’s what I do.” 

That’s what 105-year-old Julia Hawkins does. Hawkins rode her bicycle for decades but didn’t start running until she was 100. At 105, running in the Louisiana State Senior Games, she set an age group world record in the 100-meter-dash. But it’s not about the running or the records for Julia. It’s about maintaining her independence, working in her garden, spending time with family and friends and setting an example for others.

“Older people need something to look forward to, something to be ready for, something to care about,” Hawkins said. “And I do care about a lot of things. I care about flowers and birds and sunrises and sunsets. There are so many wonderful things in my life. So many people say, ‘I want to be like you when I grow up, you’re my example.’ I like being that example.”

You don’t have to run like Hawkins or Englert. You don’t have to run at all. Active aging simply means engaging in life in our own way. It’s about adapting to our changing environments – no matter our age, abilities, opportunities, or challenges.

Join us each day as we explore the International Council on Active Aging’s Seven Dimensions of Wellness and celebrate the 20th anniversary of Active Aging Week, with daily videos, articles, podcasts, and our complementary downloadable resource guide, Playbook for Active Aging: 7 Keys for Whole Person Health.  

Related Stories 12 of 618

Related Stories 12 of 618

The New 65

Health

The New 65 is a stereotype-smashing exhibit featuring portraits of men and women aged 65 and older taken by renowned portrait photographer Mike Dunn.

Read Full Story